S1/14 - Accident, incident, disease and near miss reporting
Accidents and incidents
Information on how to report accidents and incidents
All accidents and incidents, including injury, fire, dangerous occurrences and near misses, must be reported without delay to the University Safety Office. A University Accident/Incident Report Form must be used. These forms are held within individual departments.
The University is legally obliged to report certain incidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The University Safety Office determines and makes these types of reports to the HSE. There are time constraints for reporting to the HSE. It is therefore important that people report incidents quickly, especially those that may involve the following:
- any death occurring as a result of work activities
- any serious injury to an employee as a result of work activities
- any dangerous occurrence that could have resulted in a serious injury or fatality
- any accident to a student, visitor or member of the public as a result of work activities and results in them being taken to hospital for treatment
- if an employee is incapacitated for more than seven consecutive days following an injury at work.