Competent advice

Every department must appoint their own departmental safety officer, who should always be the first point of contact. You should be able to find out who they are and how to contact them on your department website or staff intranet. If not please get in touch with your department’s area or divisional safety officer, who will be able to help you:

GLAM (Gardens, Libraries, Archives and Museums)


Maths Physical & Life Sciences

Medical Sciences

Social Sciences


UAS (University Administration Services)

Departments may also appoint specialist health and safety officers covering topics such as fire, biological safety, ionising radiation, lasers and manual handling. Departmental safety officers can advise on whether these officers are present in your department.

Area or divisional safety officers should be consulted when departmental safety officers are unable to advise or assist.

The University Safety Office should be contacted when support or advice cannot be obtained from the local officers.  Full contact details are provided on our about us page.