Departmental safety officers
Information on the important role of departmental safety officers who are responsible for advising on health and safety at a departmental level
University policy states that the head of each department is responsible for the safety of all members of staff, students and visitors within areas under his/her control. To support the head of department, and individual supervisors, a departmental safety officer must be appointed.
The duties of the departmental safety officer are outlined in the following document, including:
- ensuring a statement of safety organisation is reviewed annually
- overseeing the risk assessment process
- carrying out annual inspections
- monitoring the work environment
- advising staff and students
- monitoring compliance to university health and safety policy
- ensuring incidents are reported
- liaising with the safety office or occupational health service
Those undertaking the role of departmental safety officer are expected to attend the University's relevant training course and Safety Office update meetings.